Tomatillo Salsa

>> Monday, May 4, 2009

A couple of months ago my friends Maggie and Brad invited us over for a Mexican fiesta. Brad made the most amazing tomatillo salsa so naturally this frugal foodie asked him for his recipe and he graciously agreed :) 


I have been waiting for almost two months to write this recipe, saving it for Cinco de Mayo. I re-created his recipe this week, just to test it out and see if I could do it and let me tell you something, it was good. Really, really, really good. So good in fact that I have made it twice now in about a week! 

Here is Brad's recipe that I changed ever so slightly (only to make it easier Brad, you are a much better chef than I!) 

Ingredients

  • 6-8 Tomatillos (these look like a green tomato)
  • 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
  • 1/2 of a large onion or 1 whole smaller onion
  • 1 jalapeno chopped and seeded (unless you want it hot...)
  • cilantro
Directions
Prep time: 10 
Cook time: 10 

First things first, get your broiler warmed up. Next peel the tomatillos so that the outer skin is removed and slice in half. Drizzle with a little EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and place directly under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the skin is nicely charred. 

While the tomatillos are cooking away preheat a skillet on medium high heat, then chop the garlic, onion and jalapeno. Drizzle skillet with some EVOO and add the chopped materials to the skillet. 

Once the tomatillos are nice and charred add them to the skillet with the garlic, onion, and jalapenos and add about a 1/2 of water. Just enough so that it covers about half of the mixture and get all the flavor up from the pan. Bring that mixture to a boil on about medium high heat. 

Let the water reduce and cook out (see picture to the right)

Meanwhile, remove a decent handful of cilantro from your bushel (I like a lot of cilantro so I used about 3 tablespoons worth) and place in a food processor or blender chop up the cilantro so it is finely chopped.

Your tomatillo mixture should be pretty reduced by now, turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down. 

I would say after about 5-10 minutes (let's be honest, waiting has never been my thing so sometimes I rush it) add that mixture to the food processor and blend together. 

There you have it! A salsa that is delicious, not too spicy and an easy way to leave an impression at a Cinco de Mayo party or any get together. 

Many thanks to Brad and Maggie for hosting such a wonderful evening and thanks to Brad for this great recipe!! Trust me is ridiculously good! 

1 comments:

Mag May 5, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

Oh Barone! The salsa is on the blog!

Thanks for mentioning me in the shout out even though I didn't cook anything.

Thank goodness for you and Brad, the foodies in my life.

AddThis

Share |

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP