Crumb's Cupcakes

>> Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Listen, I'm woman enough to admit when I am wrong and I was wrong. I wrote about Magnolia bakery and I was too nice, I said the cupcakes were good and possibly the best in the city. I said it and I was wrong and for that I apologize. My friend Marcy told me that I obviously hadn't had Crumb's cupcakes yet, which I hadn't...until recently. 

I was wrong. I was really wrong. Seriously. Crumb's cupcakes are like cupcake nirvana. If I were to die and go to heaven, no doubt Crumb's cupcakes would be there. Anyways...we went to the NYU location on 8th and University Place and were greeted by the friendliest cupcake salesperson ever. He was sincerely interested in which flavors we liked and helped us narrow down our choices. There were so many
 different varieties from classics like vanilla with chocolate icing, to delicious grasshopper, which was a chocolate cupcake with peppermint frosting with a gooey, pudding (maybe?) center. You don't even know how good...

They are so moist, and soft and break apart easily, but yet are still sturdy enough to hold a mountain of icing. And oh, oh the icing. Sweet sugary goodness. The different between this icing and the icing on other cupcakes like Magnolia or Buttercup Bakery is that while all the icings are sugary, Crumb's is more creamy and not as...crunchy. You know what I mean? You know when icing has been sitting on a cupcake and you can break it off? No can do with Crumbs, its creamy like almost melted ice cream, where it still has its shape but you can swirl it around. 

Then the size. I mean these things are colossal. They're HUGE. Definitely big enough to split or I guess if  you really hungry you could take it all. Then again you can take my mom's approach and eat half that night and the other for breakfast...

I don't know if this was a fluke or if Crumb's is always this good, but my mom said it was one of the best cupcakes she had ever had, so hopefully Crumb's can continue to make the sweet BIG treats. 

Visit their website for locations: http://www.crumbs.com/ 

4 comments:

Marcy March 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

It's not a FLUKE! It's the real deal. And I am so happy you finally got to see the GLORY of CRUMBS. I have been the one on Columbus and it's just as amazing as the ones you can get at Dylan's.

What gets me is that they have the best icing and cake, but then they also top it off with an amazing creation like raspberry swirl or oreo!!!

Crumbs, my one true love.

Renee Barone March 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

Ok, so I just ate some that were purchased two days ago and they were STILL moist. Not as moist as the day of but still, two days later JUST AS GOOD.

The other thing I meant to note was the price. A LARGE cupcake was $3.75, which if you split it thats about $2 a person!

It was as great find Marcy and as always thank you for your suggestions!!

Jackie March 18, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

okay, i just had one of these 2 day old cupcakes and the oreo was DELICIOUS. and i was so happy to learn that there is one only 5 blocks away from my apartment! since i gave up ice cream for lent, this will definitely be needed.

ACP March 19, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

You should try Sugar Sweet Sunshine next! The pumpkin one is tdf

AddThis

Share |

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP