Cherin Sushi

>> Tuesday, March 3, 2009

This is one of those great New York finds that I just keep coming back to. It has all the requirements for a great night. Great location? Yes. Affordable? Yes. Good? Yes. BYOB? Um, YES.


We stumbled upon this "find" in some sort of recession chain email that got sent around through my group of poor/unemployed friends, and we figured why not, I mean how bad can a BYOB be?

Located in the East Village on 6th and 2nd, Cherin is in the heart of cool bars and restaurants and the atmosphere can't be beat. When you walk in you'll notice that the restaurant is basically a narrow strip (probably 10 feet wide and about 50 feet deep - ok I made this up, but think of a very narrow rectangle). People are lined on the walls, and it looks like complete chaos. There are NYU students camping out at their tables, taking advantage of the BYOB factor.

We find the hostess and check-in. She lost our reservation the second time we went, but that was ok, we were still seated relatively quickly (I would say within 20 minutes). Once seated we gazed over the menu. Much to my surprise, I was taken aback and had a bit of sticker shock, but the good kind. I would say the most expensive roll at Cherin is
$10 and the majority fall under $5.

I ordered the beef dumplings, shrimp tempura, and spicy crunchy tuna. All three things I ordered were GREAT. I know what you're thinking - I went pretty basic, borderline amateur - but I figured if you can get the basics down, the more extensive rolls are probably just as good. Plus, I can order what I want so - HA!

Overall, the bill came out to about $15 a person, for about an 1 hour and 1/2 of dining -- unreal for New York or anywhere really. Service left something to be desired, but for those prices, I'll take what I can get.

I am actually thinking about going back again this week, that is how confident I feel that I can have the same experience again. Plus, I left my planner there, but even if I hadn't, I would probably still go back.

Cherin Sushi
306 E 6th St
New York, NY 10003
(212) 388-1348




2 comments:

annie March 3, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

cherin is the best for big groups! Cheap, easy to split the check, and byob of course!! If you get there during prime time (8-10) be prepared to be rushed out of there. Its super fast, and they want people waiting to sit down! But totally worth it :) I will be back..maybe this week with Renee!!

Renee Barone March 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

That's a good point Annie - you will 110% be rushed if you go durning the dinner rush, but even still its about an hour to sit down and order and eat.

You are of course more than welcome to come - pretty sure were going on Thursday :)

AddThis

Share |

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP