Valentine's Day Revisited

>> Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine's Day is one of those days that I am ambivalent about. Single or in a relationship who cares? All I know is that on this day that everyone feels they need to be flamboyant about their love I would rather stay in and be with people I care about. With that said I have pulled some recipes (old and new) that I think will go perfectly on this day and at the end a special dessert that will put you in a food coma :)

Starters:

  • Truffled Mushroom Bruschetta - this recipe is still one of my favorites and a definite crowd pleaser. While this is a little heavier, it's a perfect start to any meal.
  • Ricotta and Honey Toast - this recipe is essentially a lighter version of the one above. They both involve ricotta (one of my favorites) and toast, however this will start you off more on the sweet than the savory side. 
Entrees:
  • Butternut Squash Ravioli - the brown butter sauce over the smooth, light raviolis still makes my mouth water. This is staple in my kitchen when I have guests over or in from out of town. It's fairly easy and always delivers.
  • The Perfect Sirloin - while this isn't the most "exciting" thing that I have to offer, it's incredible good. The technique and flavors are simple, but when you have a good cut of meat you don't need any more. I love this recipe! 

Dessert

So this is a recipe that I was inspired to create by something I saw in Bon Appetit. Thier recipe look good and intense. I wanted to take is down a bit and just concentrate on the flavors. After one successful attempt I created the blackberry jam and lemon ice cream masterpiece...

Ingredients:
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 pint of vanilla ice cream
  • 1 container of blackberries
  • 1 cup watter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • Graham crackers (optional)
Directions:

Listen. This is pretty straight forward and bottom line, look at those ingredients. Can you really mess this up? If you can I would like to know because everything on that list is sheer heaven. Sugar, ice cream, blackberries - COME ON!

Let the ice cream become soft and transfer to a bowl. Add the zest and juice of one lemon to the ice cream and mix together. Place the ice cream back in the freezer. 

On the stove add one cup of water and one cup of sugar. Keep stirring the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add in your container of blackberries (after rinsing of course) and then bring the entire mixture to a boil. 

Once the mixture has started to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, stirring every few minutes or so until the "jam" has reached your desired consistency (I like to let mine simmer for an hour).

After your delicious meal, take a scoop of ice cream and a hefty spoonful of our blackberry mixture and create a sundae. Crumble graham crackers on top and there you have it - the dessert that is so good you won't be able to move afterwards.

No matter what you do, I hope you have a wonderful weekend with whoever you spend it with :)   



2 comments:

Lisa F February 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

Thank you for the inspiration. Speaking of truffles & cheese, if you don't have this available in your part of country (I'm so lucky to live where I do), all I can say is you MUST find a way to get this. Words cannot describe how amazing and delicious this stuff is! Thank you for the pairings.
Lisa (FOC "friend of Carlo)
http://www.cypressgrovechevre.com/cheeses/ripened-cheeses/truffle-tremor.html

Renee Barone February 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

Hi Lisa! I totally agree if you do not have access to truffle oil, order it online - igourmet.com is a great spot:

http://www.igourmet.com/truffle-oil.asp

Thanks for stopping by!!

AddThis

Share |

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP